Another South Los Angeles AutoZone was looted after a street takeover, despite police recently sharing suspects’ photos from earlier raids to the public.
Story Highlights
- Police say a street takeover preceded a 5:30 a.m. AutoZone looting in South Los Angeles.
- The hit comes days after authorities posted images of 27 suspects from an earlier East Los Angeles AutoZone raid.
- Multiple AutoZone stores have been targeted near takeovers across Los Angeles County in recent weeks.
- No arrests were announced in the latest South Los Angeles case as investigations continue.
Police Report Street Takeover Preceded South LA AutoZone Looting
Los Angeles Police Department officers responded to a burglary call at an AutoZone in South Los Angeles around 5:30 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. Officers said a street takeover blocked an intersection near the store before looters struck, leaving broken glass and scattered merchandise. The store sits along a corridor that has seen repeated takeover activity. Police did not announce arrests at the scene, and detectives are gathering video and witness accounts to identify the group responsible.
Local television coverage said the ransacking followed the now-familiar pattern: cars swarm an intersection, crowds gather for stunts, and a nearby business becomes a quick target. This method gives thieves minutes to smash, grab, and flee before officers can safely move in. Similar break-ins hit AutoZone locations after weekend takeovers in East Los Angeles and South Los Angeles, according to county and city authorities who are investigating related cases.
Authorities Posted Suspect Photos Days Earlier In East LA Case
Days before the South Los Angeles hit, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department asked the public to help identify more than two dozen suspects tied to two East Los Angeles AutoZone break-ins that happened on back-to-back nights. Investigators released clear images pulled from surveillance and social media and urged tips. Deputies said the East Los Angeles store suffered major losses and damage during the takeover-linked crowd burglaries earlier this month.
The public appeals came after outlets showed video of masked crowds flooding AutoZone stores during and after late-night takeovers. One report said the same East Los Angeles location was breached twice within 24 hours, with people hauling out armfuls of parts and tools before fleeing. While each case is separate, the method and timing look similar. Police and deputies are now comparing footage and license plates across scenes to track crews and cars used in these events.
Pattern: Takeovers Create Fast Windows For Crowd Burglaries
Police and reporters have documented a larger pattern of street takeovers followed by quick strikes on nearby retailers. In recent weeks, officials and local stations counted several AutoZone locations hit across East and South Los Angeles soon after crowds formed at intersections. The county sheriff’s department and city police have both tied these crimes to the brief chaos created by takeovers, which blocks traffic and delays response as looters rush stores and escape in minutes.
#LASD East LA Detectives Seeking Assistance in Identifying Burglary Suspects #eastla
Los Angeles County East Los Angeles Station detectives are asking for the public’s assistance in identifying eleven suspects who made forced entry into a business located at the 1130 block of… pic.twitter.com/GodWOkSnyn
— LA County Sheriffs (@LASDHQ) August 14, 2026
Researchers and local journalists who track takeovers say these events are organized on social media and can shift locations quickly, which makes enforcement hard and gives cover to mob-style theft. That mix leaves small businesses, workers, and neighborhoods to clean up the mess and pay higher costs. Stores board up, raise prices, and shorten hours. Families lose pay when shops close for repairs. Honest drivers face roadblocks and wrecks. Communities carry the burden while lawbreakers try to skate free.
What Comes Next: Investigations, Community Tips, And Deterrence
Detectives are reviewing surveillance video from the latest South Los Angeles AutoZone break-in, gathering plate numbers, and seeking witness tips. The sheriff’s public photo release shows a push to identify suspects fast and to deter the next raid through public pressure. Officials say they are also targeting the takeover staging itself, since shutting down the traffic block can remove the window that looters exploit. Anyone with information is urged to contact investigators.
Why It Matters For Law And Order
Street takeovers and the smash-and-grab crimes that follow undermine basic order and hurt working people first. Law enforcement links the South Los Angeles AutoZone looting to a takeover that turned a street into a crime scene and gave cover to thieves. Ongoing cases in East and South Los Angeles show repeat victim stores and delayed arrests, which erode trust. Faster interdiction, steady prosecutions, and public help identifying suspects are key to restoring safety for families and local shops.
Sources:
smobserved.com, nypost.com, nbclosangeles.com









